Tuesday, January 10, 2012

BBQ Chicken Enchiladas

I made a batch of BBQ chicken in the Crock-Pot to have some tasty protein on hand to add to salads. I found a great deal on chicken, so I bought a ton. I only used 4 breasts, but they were huge, so I got a ton of BBQ chicken out of it. I could only eat BBQ chicken salads for so many days before getting sick of it, so I started brainstorming some alternatives.

I've been wanting to try this Thai Chicken Pizza, but I'm trying to stick to a food budget this month (ugh) and was missing too many ingredients to make it. After a pantry & fridge check, enchiladas were the way to go.

Want to make 'em? Here's how.

Lightly fry your corn tortillas.













Mix one part red enchilada sauce with one part barbecue sauce.













Dip your softened tortillas in the sauce pool.













Try not to be jealous of my chipped, glittery, New Years manicure!

Combine shredded chicken, cheese, and corn in a bowl.













Check me out! I'm artistic!













Add some extras to your chicken mix. Diced jalapenos and crushed black olives sounded like a plan to me.













Place chicken mixture into a dipped tortilla.













Roll that bad boy up and continue with his buddies.













Sprinkle some extra cheese on top. Add corn or jalapenos, if you have some left.













Pop 'em in the oven at 350 degrees for around 25 minutes. They'll come out looking like this.













Serve them alongside some of Mark Bittman's Black Beans with Orange, as I did, or choose whichever side dish tickles your fancy.













If you're a giant crazyface, make a batch of these Three Chip Oatmeal cookies at the same time.













I wanted to exhibit some self-control, so I only made a half batch. That half batch turned out 25 cookies. Oops. I guess I'm just meant to eat cookies. The universe says so, so it's okay.

BBQ Chicken Enchiladas


  • 8 corn tortillas
  • canola oil
  • 3/4 c red enchilada sauce
  • 3/4 c BBQ sauce (I used the leftover sauce from the Crock-Pot recipe, so it was really a combination of Sweet Baby Ray's Hickory & Brown Sugar, pineapple vinegar, crushed red pepper, brown sugar, and garlic powder.)
  • 3 c shredded chicken
  • 1 c sharp cheddar
  • 1 can corn
  • 1 small can diced jalapenos
  • 1 can black olives
Lightly fry the corn tortillas in the canola oil. Mix BBQ & enchilada sauces together. Dip softened tortillas in the combined sauces. Combine chicken, cheese, corn, jalapenos, and black olives in a bowl. Reserve a bit of cheese, jalapenos, and corn to sprinkle over the top of the enchiladas. Place about a quarter cup of the chicken mixture into a tortilla and roll. Place in an ungreased pan. Fill and roll the remaining tortillas and add to the pan. Sprinkle enchiladas with reserved cheese, jalapenos, and corn. Place in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes or until cheese bubbles.

The enchiladas are spicy and delicious. The cookies are divine. Enjoy!

1 comment: